Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody

My name is Felix and I'm new to the forum. (And I am living in Switzerland, in case that matters.)
Ok, so I have two offers of very interesting tenor mouthpieces of which I can only afford one. Also, I cannot testplay the mpcs because their located in France...
I know, that's not ideal however I would still be interested in some opinions. Which one is the better deal?

-10mfan Robusto Metal 7* for about 330 euros (without ligature)
-Dukoff Hollywood 7 (original tip opening) for about 600 euros (without ligature)

Do the mouthpieces compare at all? I assume the Robusto to be more flexible but I once heard Tony Lakatos play the Hollywood next to me and it blew me away. Also, I believe, that an original 7 tip opening might be quite rare. So might the Hollywood actually be worth the price or is it just a collectors piece. (For me it's not about collecting but about how the piece actually plays!).

I already have a Moutpiece Cafe Primo 7* which is almost a bit too large for me, so:
-Might the Robusto be too large too? (I also have an Inderbinen mpc which is similar to a Guardala and it's about the same size. Doesn't feel as hard to play as the Primo)
-Is the Primo similar to the Robusto, so that I would not really get something different with the 10mfan?

lastly:
What are some reasonably priced ligatures (I prefer metal ones) for these pieces that fit well?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Felix

BTW: I play a 64XXX Mark VI tenor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi,
I don´t know if you are still wondering which mouthpiece to buy, but I play a 10mfan "The Boss" metal and as far as I know, the outer dimensions are identical to the Robusto. I too prefer metal ligatures, and I use a Rico H (HTS2) for metal mpcs. It is a snug fit but it works well, at least with Fibracells.

I have tried both a Robusto metal 8 and a Dukoff D6 (don´t know from which era, though) but only very briefly and not at the same time. I´m only an intermediate amateur, but my impression was that the Dukoff was very bright and "buzzy". The Robusto was a lot darker and, as far as I´m concerned, far more versatile.

Best regards

/Saxray

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
Hi Felix,
Happy to help here.

Thanks Saxray. I hope you are enjoying The Boss metal. That Dukoff model you referred to is a Super Power Chamber, and very different from a vintage Hollywood model. Pretty much polar opposites. :)

My Robusto metal has a broader, fatter sound, with more volume and punch available than a Hollywood. The Dukoff Hollywoods can be very nice pieces too and will have a more focussed sound in comparison. The Dukoff will feel smaller in the mouth also and will have a smoother sound and not as much bark available as the Robusto.
Vintage pieces are always collectible, so you cant go wrong getting a vintage Hollywood in terms of collectibility, as long as the price is good.
Both are fun models to play, but different, for sure. My Merlot will be a closer experience to the Hollywood, but still a broader sound.

The Mouthpiececafe primo is a Link hr copy, and nothing like my Robusto metal.
If you like the feel of hard rubber, get my Robusto hard rubber. I offer them at a discount here at SOTW because this is my home away from home. :)

I will be happy to answer any more questions for you, directly.

Feel free to contact me at my email: [email protected]

All the best, Mark

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
I can't really comment on the Dukoff, except to say a lot of that high price has to do with the fact that it's a vintage mpc and maybe has some value as a collector item, rather than simply as a great mpc (for all I know it is a great mpc, or maybe not. No way to know for certain).

OTOH, you almost certainly can't go wrong with the Robusto, especially since you can't play test either mpc. At least you can know that the Robusto has been hand finished and play tested for quality; it will play well. I have a Robusto in metal and and one in HR. Both are great and play very well. And very versatile.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Selmer 404 ligature for the metal Robusto — great combination.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've never played a vintage Hollywood, but I'd recommend to not think of Tony's sound on this piece for comparison. I've played several times with him and he sounded amazing on almost any mouthpiece he used and he always sounded quite similar on all of them. It's also his great horn and most of all himself that makes him sound like he does.

The Robusto is one of the best metal pieces I've owned so far. Quite flexible as you wrote and I can recommend it. Of course it always depends on how developed your inner ear or sound imagination is and how experienced as a player you are to make a good decision - but if you're not as determinated by this like many others of us here you won't go wrong with getting a Robusto and developing your sound from there.

Best
Jo

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have played a dukoff D7 (the one made from a lead compound, possibly poisonous :) ... ) + several other pieces, including vintage rubber Berg, link STM, vandoren v16, and 10mfan rubber merlot, boss and robusto. My favorite piece is the robusto 9, but a rubber one. Very versatile, easy playing, big dynamic range, great piece. The dukoff (probably different from the one you consider though) is a bit too bright for what I'm doing at the time... (Tenor mk6 77xxx). Ok alto too, after having played dukoff D9, brillhart personaline, beechler diamond dot and other pieces (mk6, 143xxx), I now prefer 10mfan showboat 8. Excellent mouthpiece as well

·
Registered
83 Posts
"Thanks Saxray. I hope you are enjoying The Boss metal. That Dukoff model you referred to is a Super Power Chamber, and very different from a vintage Hollywood model. Pretty much polar opposites. :)"

Aah, my mistake. Just goes to show that I am not at all familiar with Dukoffs. I am, however, familiar with "The Boss" and it is the best mouthpiece I have ever played! I came from a Jody Jazz DV 7* which I also like, but the Boss gives me a fatter, warmer, more "3-dimensional" sound, without sacrificing that edge. Thanks very much!

/Saxray

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
Thank you so much. I’m so glad you’re loving that mouthpiece. When I introduce some new metal pieces, we will keep that model but with a lower baffle and a few changes to make it even more what people are asking for these days. Gotta stay on top of that. It will still have all that fatness and body to the sound but it will be more user-friendly for the jazz guys too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds great! Are there by any chance any baritone mouthpieces in the pipeline? A "The Boss" metal baritone mpc would be just the thing to replace my other JJ DV...

/Saxray

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
We will definitely make soprano and baritone pieces. It’s just been so busy but will definitely get to those.
Thank you so much

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I have played a dukoff D7 (the one made from a lead compound, possibly poisonous :) ... ) + several other pieces, including vintage rubber Berg, link STM, vandoren v16, and 10mfan rubber merlot, boss and robusto. My favorite piece is the robusto 9, but a rubber one. Very versatile, easy playing, big dynamic range, great piece. The dukoff (probably different from the one you consider though) is a bit too bright for what I'm doing at the time... (Tenor mk6 77xxx). Ok alto too, after having played dukoff D9, brillhart personaline, beechler diamond dot and other pieces (mk6, 143xxx), I now prefer 10mfan showboat 8. Excellent mouthpiece as well
The modern Dukoffs are made from a lead-free pewter. It's a soft metal than can be cast with inexpensive equipment. The alloy is mostly tin. Vintage Hollywoods are plated brass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts