Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Anyone got a chart for altissimo fingering on a Conn 10M Tenor. The top end is a beast but darn if I can figure out the altissimo other then the trusty Double A. Anyone got a resource I can check out or might know off the top of your head. Thanks.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Grumps said:
The usual ones that work for any tenor work for my 10M.
I have to assume that Tenor Altissimo is different then Alto if I am to believe your statement.

My Alto Altissimo fingering does do anthing on Tenor, and I know Altissimo fingering for Alto up to Double C Chromatically.

I put up the questions because I figured the way the 10M closes the F# key it would make an impact on Altissimo. I can verify that my old 6M I had to use alt fingering for High G because of this.

I will agree when you use the right altissimo fingering it's like night and day vs. stumbling around tring to find the right one.

I will work though all thouse recommended ones on that chart, I was kind of hoping someone had already done the leg work on 10M and could tell me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Radjammin said:
I have to assume that Tenor Altissimo is different then Alto if I am to believe your statement.
I didn't mean to infer that, though there might be one or two things different I do with alto and tenor. Thing is though... for me, it's really in the voicing, not the fingerings. Yeah, there are fingerings I use, but they're not always the same. It depends on where I came from and where I'm going; and I'm talking improvising. I don't believe fingerings are the most important aspect of altissimo. That so many folks use different ones for the same notes is clear proof.

G can be a bitch though...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
G seems to be the one note I can not get on Tenor, keeps coming out as a sharp F# :( But yet i can do 4 different fingerings on alto...

I think G is a bitch ;)

·
25,969 Posts
I use octave, front F and side Bb for G3 on my 10M. It is a tough note, but what also complicates the matter is that most folks these days are used to playing a horn with a high F# key. Mastering the altissimo F#3 fingering (for me, octave, front F, F key and side Bb) is key to making that bridge up to G3. Folks who've become accustomed to hitting an F# key are going to have a tougher time catching up... in my view.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Yeah, that front F + Bb is the ONLY fingering that I've found that actually comes out as a G for me...but I gotta work on that lol.
btw I've never had an F# key for Tenor so I use that F# fingering ;)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
I don't think there are any special altissimo fingerings for a 10M. It should respond to the same fingerings as other tenors. As Grumps says, it's mostly in the voicing. I think the bigger issue here is moving from alto to tenor, in terms of voicing the notes.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JL said:
I don't think there are any special altissimo fingerings for a 10M. It should respond to the same fingerings as other tenors. As Grumps says, it's mostly in the voicing. I think the bigger issue here is moving from alto to tenor, in terms of voicing the notes.
I am gonna have to disagree here. 10M , like 6M has significant keyword differences to a modern horn.
My problem arises from that, F# closes on the right hand when you hold down F Natural and D. (R1 and R3). This doesn't happen on a modern horn.
I completely agree that altissimo is alot about voiceing the note, but you need to have the keys press down someone correctly for it to play in tune with any power behind it.
I also agree that I need to get use to Tenor Altissimo. It is different.

And props to Pete, not only did he respond to my question with exactly what I wanted he was able to send me ShowGirls Soft P##N!!! WOOT!!!

Oh and the horn playing is off the chart too!

·
25,969 Posts
Great chart Pete; and not surprisingly, a whole lot different from what I do on my 10M. Ever try G#3 with octave, front F, side Bb and side C? Using the F#3 and G3 fingerings I referenced above, it all runs right in line.

·
25,969 Posts
Radjammin said:
My problem arises from that, F# closes on the right hand when you hold down F Natural and D. (R1 and R3). This doesn't happen on a modern horn.
I went from a modern VII to a 10M and didn't have to change any altissimo fingerings. It could very well be though, that the fingerings I use don't run across the issue quoted above. I know Pete plays several different tenors. Just wondering if he changes any of his fingerings specifically for his 10M?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
Grumps said:
Great chart Pete; and not surprisingly, a whole lot different from what I do on my 10M. Ever try G#3 with octave, front F, side Bb and side C? Using the F#3 and G3 fingerings I referenced above, it all runs right in line.
Thanks, I'll try that out. On all three tenors (10M, The martin and Walstein)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts