Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Was that "Giant Steps" in #7? I liked the bass player's attitude of resignation.

So Doctor Who is the culmination of traditional jazz? That means either the recorder or the electric guitar is the jazz axe of choice.

Registered
It's good, but it would work better if this was condensed to about only 5 reasons. The gag gets a bit repetitive as it goes on. And I agree with Sacks that it would be improved if you had not repeated the same music for each segue. But I get that that would have taken a bit more time/effort, perhaps a good bit more.

Registered
it would be improved if you had not repeated the same music for each segue. But I get that that would have taken a bit more time/effort, perhaps a good bit more.
Repeating the same music for each segue is part of the point of all of these videos. Smooth Jazz is repetitive. Get it?

Registered
Smooth Jass is the Cheeze Whiz of quality Cheese. Cheeze Whiz doesn't even contain real cheese anymore. That is why they made them change the spelling in their name. Since Smooth Jazz is like the Cheeze Whiz of jazz when compared to real jazz. The name should properly be changed to Smooth Jass since it is a poor quality cheap imitation of the real thing. In my view it is the "dumbing down" of the genre to appeal to the masses to make commercial profits. It is not unlike the "Switched on Classics" and "Hooked on Classics" that were popular in the '90's where Classical music was dumbed down and put to a disco beat. Perhaps that's the direction our culture is headed.

Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
Yeah, it really sucks. The worst things are the 'muggles' (ordinary non-musician people) like it plus you can make money with it. Now I need to go to my safe place and curl up into a fetal ball. LOL The funny part is I don't even play it but I don't care if somebody else does.

Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member

Registered
It is not unlike the "Switched on Classics" and "Hooked on Classics" that were popular in the '90's where Classical music was dumbed down and put to a disco beat. Perhaps that's the direction our culture is headed.
Making pop music from classical had been done for some time, and not necessarily just with a disco beat:

Just a guy who plays saxophone.
Hilarious! The #1 thing I hate about smooth jazz is the name Smooth Jazz. Turns everyone off...you know who hangs out in the smooth jazz section at record stores? The Yellowjackets, Steps Ahead, Jeff Lorber Fusion (with and without Kenny G), and all kinds of badass music a lot of people ignore because of the lame genre tag (thanks Kenny G).

Forum Contributor 2014-2017
Yeah, but did you notice all the talking going on during Giant Steps. Everyone was super excited and discussing the various harmonic devices the sax player was using. You don't get that in smooth jazz! People just listen to the music with smooth jazz......I hate that..........
That cracked me up!

Great video Dave!

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Go Dave!

I wrote a CD of smooth jazz music and hired some pros to help me play it.... most of my playing ended up on the cutting room floor. Those cats made it awesome. We played a few shows. They were all a league above my level. It sits in the vault of the label who owns it.

I don鈥檛 care.

I turned a small profit....

Registered
People just listen to the music with smooth jazz......I hate that..........
Yeah, but not even. They're not consciously listening; it's "background music" (which to me is a contradiction in terms).

The "jazz" half of the term "smooth jazz" bugs me no end. It's a slap in the face to all the brilliant, dedicated, tormented players & composers of actual jazz -- you know, the spiky, angular stuff that makes listeners actually feel emotion.

Administrator
The name should properly be changed to Smooth Jass since it is a poor quality cheap imitation of the real thing.
While I like and agree with your definition of Smooth Jazz I wouldn't go for calling it 'Smooth Jass'.

Jass was an early name for Jazz music and I don't think the modern Smooth crap is even worth that name!

So I would go for 'Smooth Crap' or just 'Smooth Sounds' (less insulting towards the many people who seem to like this genre). :)

Registered
Smooth jazz is predictable, accessible, easily digestible, non-threatening, non-challenging, low maintenance, designed for all ages and recycle-friendly - just like all other entertainment forms today. But lets not forget the positives ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts