Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I still have Bob Reynolds system in my head.Todays work was slow 4ths full range on horn for tone centering and ear training . (new mouthpiece break-in)

Then for fingers I ran a marcel Mule exercise on a major scale (a pattern that stays within a 5th) and then the accending arpeggios on a major scale.

For changes I'm forcing (yes I said forcing ) myself to run changes on 3 songs I like but really haven't worked on . First memorize changes then be able to run 8th note lines all chord tones on the changes. . So I have Wave, Heres that Rainy Day and Daahood. I;ll memorize the changes, run lines and eventually solo on the tunes.

Finally , fun for me is copying either melodies or solos so Im on week 5 of just the first two choruses of Equinox by Kenny Garrett. (the real kenny g) My tone and inflections are much closer but I have issues with nailing exactly the timing of the lines.

All in all im closer to what i want as a player but there are many levels that I'm not at or cant do so more work. There really , in my experience is no way around all the grunt work of being an artist. K

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
Yes! The real Kenny G!!! Dig it! Wish I could conjure up the discipline to maintain a focused daily routine like that, nice work!

·
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im lucky that Ive been retired for 9 years and my health keeps improving following that book Younger next year. I'm stronger and happier than ever K
Yes! The real Kenny G!!! Dig it! Wish I could conjure up the discipline to maintain a focused daily routine like that, nice work!

·
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, our idol was performing on a miniature golf course on TV.(HOley moley)Im so happy millions of Mini golf fans will See our kenny g doing his thing. Maybe we can get Kenny G piped into millions of manigolf courses around the world. (nobody cap on me for saying this, I actually think the world of Kenny G or any sax player who gets many folks to buy a NON VOCAL Cd. Thats our real fight, Those DAMNVocalists. Luckily I've been working with a good one for 20 years now, thats why we gig 25 times a year. )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,211 Posts
Dave, our idol was performing on a miniature golf course on TV.(HOley moley)Im so happy millions of Mini golf fans will See our kenny g doing his thing. Maybe we can get Kenny G piped into millions of manigolf courses around the world. (nobody cap on me for saying this, I actually think the world of Kenny G or any sax player who gets many folks to buy a NON VOCAL Cd. Thats our real fight, Those DAMNVocalists. Luckily I've been working with a good one for 20 years now, thats why we gig 25 times a year. )
Well with 75+ millions albums sold I'm sure a lot of them already listen to him!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
Well with 75+ millions albums sold I'm sure a lot of them already listen to him!
Including everyone who has either ridden an elevator or used a bathroom in Starbucks. I wonder what his licensing agreements look like?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts