Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you SOTWers,

So how many folks are up to this challenge? How many people can actually commit to playing one piece for everything for one month? I had been on the mpc carousel for quite some time, but I am settling in one one piece for the next month just to gain some sense of "home" again. I have been doing so on alto for a while, just hadn't realized how far from this I had gotten with my tenor concept. Anyhow, just curious. In the past I would always get timid and have a second piece around for really loud stuff, but I am making move away from that and back to basics. (Those who have been playing the same link since 1977 need not respond...)

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I've been playing exclusively for almost 8 months on my Phil-Tone custom in jazz duos / trios situations as well as pop/rock/funk combos having to compete with trombone & guitar players. What made it easier is I couldn't afford another mouthpiece. :D

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
The alto is my main horn. I always use my RPC, which allows me to get pretty loud and also to get very soft (if I have been practicing enough). I believe that using more than one mouthpiece on a regular basis would hurt my playing, and would not gain me anything, so I can't remember the last time I put a different mouthpiece on my alto.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
...having to compete with trombone & guitar players. ...:D
Most of the trombone players I know would be surprised to be lumped with guitarists, especially in terms of audibility. I haven't the slightest idea whether the surprise would be pleasant...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
19,061 Posts
Been playing one mouthpiece on tenor for 4 years and one mouthpiece on alto for 9 years. Seems to work for me.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
...having to compete with trombone & guitar players. ...:D
Most of the trombone players I know would be surprised to be lumped with guitarists, especially in terms of audibility. I haven't the slightest idea whether the surprise would be pleasant...
Well, yeah they're not the same. Still a trombone can get VERY loud (110dB+) as opposed to a sax which I'm sure tops just before 100dB...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Been there, done that...

I used to use my Jody Jazz HR* (tenor) on everything for a few years. Now since I'm studying music ed/performance in college, I'm using different mpcs for classical and jazz.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,892 Posts
This actually is not a good idea for those people who play classical and jazz. Even if you have two mouthpieces that are exactly the same, there's a psychological thing there where you really want to be in different mindsets when you are playing one style or another.

·
4,023 Posts
Hey all you SOTWers,

So how many folks are up to this challenge? How many people can actually commit to playing one piece for everything for one month? I had been on the mpc carousel for quite some time, but I am settling in one one piece for the next month just to gain some sense of "home" again. I have been doing so on alto for a while, just hadn't realized how far from this I had gotten with my tenor concept. Anyhow, just curious. In the past I would always get timid and have a second piece around for really loud stuff, but I am making move away from that and back to basics. (Those who have been playing the same link since 1977 need not respond...)
Generally, I play one mouthpiece per horn. I only HAVE the one Sop piece, the metal Meyer alto piece is working out very nicely (though I'd play the Steelay for a real "legit" sound), the Aquilasax likes the Link, both the Buescher C-mel and Yamaha tenor work fine with the Link or the Drake (but they sound better with the Drake), and the bari gets the Link because the Brilhart Levelaire 5 is too close and too annoying. (Think "tunable chainsaw".)

If I have played anything other than these over the last couple months, it has been for brief times like A-B comparisons, and the number of mouthpieces I would actually use in public is: soprano 1, alto 3, C-mel/tenor 2, bari 1. Not a lot of mouthpiece G.A.S. going on here.

·
4,160 Posts
I know I can't. My big band mouthpiece on bari will get me fired if I took into the pits...

On tenor and alto I can get away with one mouthpiece for most everything and I only use one on soprano. Same mouthpiece on tenor for 8 years I think, same one on alto for 10. Soprano for 6. 7 years for my legit bari piece, my jazz setup still hasn't settled

You've got to be doing some serious honking to get 100 out of a sax or 110 out of a bone. Try bagpipes which chill out around 120, those are fun... NOT

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've never been one to jump from piece to piece depending on the situation. I usually find something that will work in the variety of styles that I deal with (everything from acoustic jazz to R&B to loud blues rock to whatever) and stick with it. On tenor, I recently switched off my trusty Lamberson 8SB (No, it's not for sale) to the Florida STM that I gave up on 10+ years ago on tenor. I had been playing the Lambo for at least 4 or 5 years but became a bit unhappy with the overall sound. I'm finding that I'm getting close to the same R&B sound on the Link with a whole bunch of other tone colors that I feel I was missing on the SB. Go figure.

BTW, I don't play classical sax. That's what flute & clarinet are for!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Yeah, I can play on one mpc - one for classical and one for jazz/pop.

I have played the same Rousseau on alto for classical playing for a good two years. Another month is no problem.

Similarly, a Ponzol HR Vintage for at least the same number of years for jazz.

On tenor, Ponzol M1 for, maybe, four years? Another month? Again, no problem.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,585 Posts
On the Bundy alto it's always the Ebolin 5. I've had it about 7 years.
On the Martin Indiana alto it's always the Rousseau 4R. This sax I've only had for about a year.
On the Selmer Signature it's been a Portnoy 3 for over 3 years.
The tenor usually gets the old Yamaha that my teacher gave me.

I have no problem keeping these on my horns for another month... or year.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Been using my Guardala Studio for a few years now. Prior to that it was a brass Ponzol M2 for at least 6 years. Now I just picked up a Ponzol M2 SS. I'll give that a shot gigging on for at least through NYE. Our band is playing NYE at Harrah's in Reno NV. Sounds like a good goal!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,585 Posts
1 - 20 of 76 Posts