Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a very nice outdoor gig but once the sun went down the mosquitoes took over. I came prepared with bug spray. Please share you exciting gig/bug stories.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Tony,

I have no bug stories, just a question...where did you play ? I live 3 blocks from the St. Lawrence right in the 1000 islands area of the river ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I do a lot of outdoor work. I carry a separate day pack for summer gigs with bug spray, sun screen, toiletry kit, a change of clothes, swim-suit and a towel in it. Most every item in it has turned a miserable outing into a good one at one time or another.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Once played an afternoon deck gig beside a private lake owned by a coal company magnate in NW PA.. There was resident near the lake an amorous and extremely vocal bullfrog with whom I struck up an extended conversation on bari much to the delight of those in the audience who were into what was going on. We traded for the better part of 10 minutes before he decided he wasn't getting any closer to his desired conclusion.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
No bug gig stories from me, thankfully. Yet another reason I like living the SF Bay Area. I don't think I could tolerate an outdoor gig with mosquitoes or black flies or any of that. I'm familiar with flying, biting insects (and mosquitoes are the least of them!), having worked as a geologist in Alaska.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
A fabric softener sheet is a great trick. You can have it in a belt loop, or under the back of your neck strap...Also works great while gardening or mowing.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
My regular gig is outside. We've been pestered by both termites and honeybees. The honeybees were confused about the time, and must have thought that our stand lights were flowers. I got stung once.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Living in the land of the mosquito I can categorically deny that bounce sheets do anything. If you want to keep the mossies from biting, then use DEET. Very few other things are effective, and none are as effective as DEET.

One hesitates to inject any science content but there has never been any serious scientifically valid study done that found bounce sheets or that other old chestnut, Avon skinsosoft to do any good.

And Im guessing that DEET and plastic key touches / laquer are probably not great bed fellows either:(

·
23,006 Posts
+1 to what Canadian said. DEET is the only thing that really works. All those phony home remedies are useless. When I was working in Alaska, back in the '80s we had army surplus DEET that was 'industrial' strength and it would eat through just about anything. You don't want it anywhere near your horn!! Cutters has DEET as the active ingredient but not as strong as the stuff we had. I much prefer Cutters or the Cutters roll-on. It's not as caustic as the heavy-duty stuff, but you still don't want it on your horn. Use with care.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
Living in the land of the mosquito I can categorically deny that bounce sheets do anything. If you want to keep the mossies from biting, then use DEET. Very few other things are effective, and none are as effective as DEET.

One hesitates to inject any science content but there has never been any serious scientifically valid study done that found bounce sheets or that other old chestnut, Avon skinsosoft to do any good.

And Im guessing that DEET and plastic key touches / laquer are probably not great bed fellows either:(
Canadian mosquitoes are big but they are slowwwww.

Burning a citronella or cedar candle or tiki torch keeps the 'skeeters at bay.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
+1 to what Canadian said. DEET is the only thing that really works. All those phony home remedies are useless. When I was working in Alaska, back in the '80s we had army surplus DEET that was 'industrial' strength and it would eat through just about anything. You don't want it anywhere near your horn!! Cutters has DEET as the active ingredient but not as strong as the stuff we had. I much prefer Cutters or the Cutters roll-on. It's not as caustic as the heavy-duty stuff, but you still don't want it on your horn. Use with care.
If it's that dangerous for your horn, what's it doing to your body?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
23,006 Posts
Yeah, that's why I never used it unless the bugs were unbearable. And, like I said, where I live here on the coast in the Bay Area there are no biting insects (well maybe the odd spider or two, but no big deal).

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Yeah, that's why I never used it unless the bugs were unbearable. And, like I said, where I live here on the coast in the Bay Area there are no biting insects (well maybe the odd spider or two, but no big deal).
There are plenty of biting insects in the Bay area. Just most of them aren't arthropods, but rather hominids of some variety or another...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Unlike some of the east coast folks, there is no plastic in my body;)

I wouldnt put DEET on a toddler though as they dont know enough to keep their hands out of their mouth. For them we used a product based on chrysanthemum oil (one of the other effective chemicals) called "bite blocker". We had to mail order it from the US and re apply frequently.

To give an idea of the ontario skitter, heres a photo of the harvest from my back yard skeetervac!!! They may not be quick, but they are stealthy and overwhelm you with force of numbers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, if you really want to keep bugs, mosquitos, black flies, no seeums, gnats, etc, you need to try a device called Thermocell. you can get it at most of the outdoor shops and works like a dream. I began using one for my spring turkey hunts and I can vouch that it works great. Just light it up and set it beside you and you will not have any more problems with bugs-period!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts