Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmUeZkr9H4k

Attn San Francisco, CA residents!!
Pyramind presents the next in our continuing series of Elite Session master classes, this time with insane Seattle sax hero and all around musical genius SKERIK and his innovative full-day workshop entitled:

“SKERIK: RECORDING CHAOS AND ACOUTRONICA CONCEPTS”

Skerik has toured, played, and recorded around the world both solo and with groups such as Garage-a-Trois, Critters Buggin, Les Claypool, and Roger Waters. And he has recorded on over 100 albums with numerous artists.

On Saturday September 19th he’s coming to Pyramind’s 832 Folsom ICON HD Studio for a full-day workshop covering the uncommon musical practices he calls “Acoutronica”, named after his unique blending of acoustic and electronic instruments.

The day will feature rantings based on his 25 years of recording and playing experience, and cover advanced topics such as:

• Acoustic recording techniques emanating from the saxophone, including stolen information from the likes of cohorts Matt Chamberlain, Mell Dettmer, Randall Dunn, and S. Husky Hoskulds

• The applications he’s used to create the distinctive sounds found on his many group recordings (ie., Sadhappy, Critters Buggin, Tuatara, Black Frames, Crack Sabbath, Syncopated Taint Septet) and solo albums “Psychochromatic” and “Left for Dead in Seattle”

• Electronic DI, isolated amp, and modern re-amping techniques performed live through his perplexing effects and electronics setup

• Multi-track recordings and mixing in different formats (stereo, and 2-channel stereo manipulations)

Although the techniques described in this session can be used for any musical situation, it is hoped that these methods will inspire more sinister and creative endeavors in the future.

And sponsor Electro Voice Microphones (EV) has signed on to provide a FREE PL80a mic and other gifts to each of Skerik’s lucky pupils!

Seating is limited for this 6-hour workshop with a true musical original. Email [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or call 415.896.9800 x227 to reserve your seat now!

WHAT: Pyramind Elite Sessions pres. “SKERIK: Recording Chaos & Acoutronica Concepts” - Sponsored by Electro Voice
WHEN: Saturday September 19, 2009, 12PM - 6:30PM
WHERE: Pyramind - 832 Folsom St. (btwn 4th and 5th St.) San Francisco, CA
INFO: 415-896-9800 ex 227 or email: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

ABOUT SKERIK

Skerik has toured with:
Roger Waters, Fred Wesley, Les Claypool, Critters Buggin, Sadhappy, Beta Popes, Syncopated Taint Septet, Garage a Trois, Stanton Moore, Mike Clark, Headhunters, Robert Walter, Ponga, Wayne Horvitz 4+1 ensemble, Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk, Bobby Previte's Coalition of the Willing, New York Composer's Orchestra, Galactic, Tuatara, Mark Eitzel, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, The Dead Kenny G's, Black Frames, Maelstrom Trio, Master Musicians of Jajouka. ILLUMINASTI TRIO.

Skerik has performed with:
Mad Season, Medeski Martin & Wood, Primus, Shock G, The Coup, PBS, G. Calvin Weston, Josh Roseman, Shazhad Ismaily, Clyde Stubblefield, Kenny Drew Jr. Melvin Gibbs, Stewart Copeland, Sex Mob, Crack Sabbath, John Scofield, Blotallika, Larry Coryell, Screaming Trees, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Johnny Vidocovich, George Porter Jr., Funky Meters, Kenny Wolleson, Benevento/Russo Duo, Charlie Hunter, Earl Harvin Trio, Jon Brion, My Name, Kirk Joseph, Big Sam, R.E.M., Warren Haynes, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, The Word, North Mississippi Allstars, James Singleton, Somo-Somo, Remy Ongala, Freestyle Candela, Bheki Mseleku, Aubrey Oaki, Mino Cinelu, Bob Stewart, Bill Ware, Buckethead, Bernie Worrell, Brain, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Ralph Carney, M.I.R.V. Stone Gossard, Lonnie Marshall, Nels Cline, Jeff Parker, Get it Gurl, Bonnie Raitt, Ruth Brown, Howard Tate, Maxi Priest, Steve Berlin, David Hidalgo, Ani DiFranco, Steve Kimock, Corrosion of Conformity, Hella, Jamaaladeen Tacuma, Ozomatli, Wolves in the Throne Room, Kayo Dot, SUNN O)))), Master Musicians of Bukkake, Todd Sickafoose, Scott Amendola, Doze Green, Dave Ellis, Yoshida Brothers, etc. etc.

Engineers and Producers Skerik Has Worked With:
Tom Dyer (Arms Akimbo) - Adam Kasper (Sadhappy) - Tom Pfaeffle (Sadhappy) - Drew Canulette (Sadhappy) - Rich Hinklin (Sadhappy, others) - Mell Dettmer (Critters Buggin, Crack Sabbath, Left for Dead in Seattle, etc) - Randall Dunn (lots) - Husky Huskvolds (Syncopated Taint Septet, Critters Buggin) - Eric Rosse (Critters Buggin) - Dennis Herring (Critters Buggin) - Chris Furman (Critters Buggin) - Brett Elliason (Critters Buggin, Tuatara) - Matt Bayles (Critters Buggin) - Nick Didia (Stone Gossard films) - Brendan O'Brien (Stone Gossard films) - Jon Brion (Critters Buggin and Skerik solo) - Mike Napolitano (Kingsway studio, Kurbfeeler, Garage a Trois, solo stuff, etc) - Walter Sear (Galactic) - Dave Willingham (Black Frames, Dead Kenny Gs) - Tucker Martine (Wayne Horvitz, etc) - Wayne Horvitz (Ponga, solo stuff, etc) - Dan Prothero (Stanton Moore, etc) - Nick Sansano (Stanton Moore)

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,828 Posts
Re: 
“skerik: Recording chaos and acoutronica concepts”

I recently learned about this guy from Itunes and have been intrigued ever since. He is truly "out there" with some of the most incredible disturbing sounds to EVER come out of a saxophone. Worth listening to but definitely not for most people. B:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I jammed with him at The Boom Boom Room in San Francisco. He was across the street at the Filmore playing with Stanton Moore and John Ellis. My band was a rhodes, Hammond soul jazz funk fest.

Stanton's whole band came over and jammed with us. John and Skerik played a tenor solo where john blew and Skerik did the fingerings. At the time it was better than any solo I could take but it was very insparational. I have since transcribed solos from John Ellis and Skerik. They are great sax players and people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ATTN !!! There are 8 seats left, and the price has been reduced to 100.00 for this 6 hour workshop!! Plus each student will get a free PL80a Electro Voice microphone!

Please call or email Will to make your reservation (below). You don't want to miss this opportunity to work side by side with this exceptional talent.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmUeZkr9H4k

Attn San Francisco, CA residents!!
Pyramind presents the next in our continuing series of Elite Session master classes, this time with insane Seattle sax hero and all around musical genius SKERIK and his innovative full-day workshop entitled:

“SKERIK: RECORDING CHAOS AND ACOUTRONICA CONCEPTS”

Skerik has toured, played, and recorded around the world both solo and with groups such as Garage-a-Trois, Critters Buggin, Les Claypool, and Roger Waters. And he has recorded on over 100 albums with numerous artists.

On Saturday September 19th he’s coming to Pyramind’s 832 Folsom ICON HD Studio for a full-day workshop covering the uncommon musical practices he calls “Acoutronica”, named after his unique blending of acoustic and electronic instruments.

The day will feature rantings based on his 25 years of recording and playing experience, and cover advanced topics such as:

• Acoustic recording techniques emanating from the saxophone, including stolen information from the likes of cohorts Matt Chamberlain, Mell Dettmer, Randall Dunn, and S. Husky Hoskulds

• The applications he’s used to create the distinctive sounds found on his many group recordings (ie., Sadhappy, Critters Buggin, Tuatara, Black Frames, Crack Sabbath, Syncopated Taint Septet) and solo albums “Psychochromatic” and “Left for Dead in Seattle”

• Electronic DI, isolated amp, and modern re-amping techniques performed live through his perplexing effects and electronics setup

• Multi-track recordings and mixing in different formats (stereo, and 2-channel stereo manipulations)

Although the techniques described in this session can be used for any musical situation, it is hoped that these methods will inspire more sinister and creative endeavors in the future.

And sponsor Electro Voice Microphones (EV) has signed on to provide a FREE PL80a mic and other gifts to each of Skerik’s lucky pupils!

Seating is limited for this 6-hour workshop with a true musical original. Email [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or call 415.896.9800 x227 to reserve your seat now!

WHAT: Pyramind Elite Sessions pres. “SKERIK: Recording Chaos & Acoutronica Concepts” - Sponsored by Electro Voice
WHEN: Saturday September 19, 2009, 12PM - 6:30PM
WHERE: Pyramind - 832 Folsom St. (btwn 4th and 5th St.) San Francisco, CA
INFO: 415-896-9800 ex 227 or email: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

ABOUT SKERIK

Skerik has toured with:
Roger Waters, Fred Wesley, Les Claypool, Critters Buggin, Sadhappy, Beta Popes, Syncopated Taint Septet, Garage a Trois, Stanton Moore, Mike Clark, Headhunters, Robert Walter, Ponga, Wayne Horvitz 4+1 ensemble, Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk, Bobby Previte's Coalition of the Willing, New York Composer's Orchestra, Galactic, Tuatara, Mark Eitzel, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, The Dead Kenny G's, Black Frames, Maelstrom Trio, Master Musicians of Jajouka. ILLUMINASTI TRIO.

Skerik has performed with:
Mad Season, Medeski Martin & Wood, Primus, Shock G, The Coup, PBS, G. Calvin Weston, Josh Roseman, Shazhad Ismaily, Clyde Stubblefield, Kenny Drew Jr. Melvin Gibbs, Stewart Copeland, Sex Mob, Crack Sabbath, John Scofield, Blotallika, Larry Coryell, Screaming Trees, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Johnny Vidocovich, George Porter Jr., Funky Meters, Kenny Wolleson, Benevento/Russo Duo, Charlie Hunter, Earl Harvin Trio, Jon Brion, My Name, Kirk Joseph, Big Sam, R.E.M., Warren Haynes, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, The Word, North Mississippi Allstars, James Singleton, Somo-Somo, Remy Ongala, Freestyle Candela, Bheki Mseleku, Aubrey Oaki, Mino Cinelu, Bob Stewart, Bill Ware, Buckethead, Bernie Worrell, Brain, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Ralph Carney, M.I.R.V. Stone Gossard, Lonnie Marshall, Nels Cline, Jeff Parker, Get it Gurl, Bonnie Raitt, Ruth Brown, Howard Tate, Maxi Priest, Steve Berlin, David Hidalgo, Ani DiFranco, Steve Kimock, Corrosion of Conformity, Hella, Jamaaladeen Tacuma, Ozomatli, Wolves in the Throne Room, Kayo Dot, SUNN O)))), Master Musicians of Bukkake, Todd Sickafoose, Scott Amendola, Doze Green, Dave Ellis, Yoshida Brothers, etc. etc.

Engineers and Producers Skerik Has Worked With:
Tom Dyer (Arms Akimbo) - Adam Kasper (Sadhappy) - Tom Pfaeffle (Sadhappy) - Drew Canulette (Sadhappy) - Rich Hinklin (Sadhappy, others) - Mell Dettmer (Critters Buggin, Crack Sabbath, Left for Dead in Seattle, etc) - Randall Dunn (lots) - Husky Huskvolds (Syncopated Taint Septet, Critters Buggin) - Eric Rosse (Critters Buggin) - Dennis Herring (Critters Buggin) - Chris Furman (Critters Buggin) - Brett Elliason (Critters Buggin, Tuatara) - Matt Bayles (Critters Buggin) - Nick Didia (Stone Gossard films) - Brendan O'Brien (Stone Gossard films) - Jon Brion (Critters Buggin and Skerik solo) - Mike Napolitano (Kingsway studio, Kurbfeeler, Garage a Trois, solo stuff, etc) - Walter Sear (Galactic) - Dave Willingham (Black Frames, Dead Kenny Gs) - Tucker Martine (Wayne Horvitz, etc) - Wayne Horvitz (Ponga, solo stuff, etc) - Dan Prothero (Stanton Moore, etc) - Nick Sansano (Stanton Moore)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I know you? I've been working with Stanton for the last 3 almost 4 years now, and frequent the Boom Boom Room. What band do you play with?

I jammed with him at The Boom Boom Room in San Francisco. He was across the street at the Filmore playing with Stanton Moore and John Ellis. My band was a rhodes, Hammond soul jazz funk fest.

Stanton's whole band came over and jammed with us. John and Skerik played a tenor solo where john blew and Skerik did the fingerings. At the time it was better than any solo I could take but it was very insparational. I have since transcribed solos from John Ellis and Skerik. They are great sax players and people.

·
2,640 Posts
The band I was playing with at the time was named Brown Baggin. We where called Grovement for a while too. This was probably about 7 years ago. I think it was right after Stanton put out Flew the Coop. Brown Baggen morphed into a band called The Grease Traps and I believe they play the Boom Boom Room a lot still. I hit the road for about 5 years solid and lost track of those guys. I also moved to Orange County California. I miss the Boom Boom Room. It is one of my all time favorite clubs to play and go to. They always have great music and you can't beat a place that has a house Hammond.

Do I know you? I've been working with Stanton for the last 3 almost 4 years now, and frequent the Boom Boom Room. What band do you play with?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How funny. I know Chuck Prada, he's been in the Grease Traps for a while. I actually just saw him at the Boom Boom a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like we run in similar circles.

Nice to meet ya!

The band I was playing with at the time was named Brown Baggin. We where called Grovement for a while too. This was probably about 7 years ago. I think it was right after Stanton put out Flew the Coop. Brown Baggen morphed into a band called The Grease Traps and I believe they play the Boom Boom Room a lot still. I hit the road for about 5 years solid and lost track of those guys. I also moved to Orange County California. I miss the Boom Boom Room. It is one of my all time favorite clubs to play and go to. They always have great music and you can't beat a place that has a house Hammond.

·
2,640 Posts
You too. San Francisco still has some world class, dirty, funky and soul filled jazz. I used to run around with some of the Jazz Mafia guys as well. Give the City a great big hug for me.

How funny. I know Chuck Prada, he's been in the Grease Traps for a while. I actually just saw him at the Boom Boom a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like we run in similar circles.

Nice to meet ya!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts