Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen various peg-style stands, or supports, for playing baritone (and other horns) while standing or for support when sitting. Anybody using something like this for bari?

· Registered
4,342 Posts
Sax Rax used to make one call the Sax Stick but it looks like they only make the seated version now. These guys still make one; https://www.saxsupport.com.au/ but I don't really care for the way it attaches to the horn.

They come up for sale here at SOTW every so often. I thought about trying one a few times but I play a lot of bari/tenor doubling gigs and couldn't figure how it wasn't going to be a total PITA when I had to switch to tenor so I just stayed with my harness.

· Registered
YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,665 Posts
I bought each of the SaxRax supports for Bari, the standing and seated ones.

I didn't really care for the standing one, and ended up selling it.
I still have the seated one, but quit using it.

I found them both a bit restrictive. So I just play with a sling that makes it easier on my neck than a simple strap.

YMMV

2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sax Rax used to make one call the Sax Stick but it looks like they only make the seated version now. These guys still make one; Relieve Back & Neck Pain with Sax Support Sax Stand.. but I don't really care for the way it attaches to the horn.

They come up for sale here at SOTW every so often. I thought about trying one a few times but I play a lot of bari/tenor doubling gigs and couldn't figure how it wasn't going to be a total PITA when I had to switch to tenor so I just stayed with my harness.
To be honest, I think those are the only two I’ve seen. Is it the adhesive used for the “sax support” you don’t like?

Also, in general, beginning to wonder if I couldn’t come up with some sort of peg-like DIY rig on my own.

· Registered
4,342 Posts
To be honest, I think those are the only two I’ve seen. Is it the adhesive used for the “sax support” you don’t like?

Also, in general, beginning to wonder if I couldn’t come up with some sort of peg-like DIY rig on my own.
Yeah, I'm not crazy about using adhesive like that. I have a Yani bari and they aren't known for the strength of their lacquer. That guy can say it doesn't stick all he wants but if it does and tears off a big patch of lacquer from the front of the bell of my horn is he going to write me a $1000 check for the loss in value?? I doubt it. Plus, as I said I need to be able to switch back and forth from bari to tenor quickly so something like this was going to be too finicky for me to mange at a gig. In addition, putting a lot of weight and especially any twisting force on the end of the bell of a bari is also not a good idea. Even with the bell bracing it doesn't take all that much to push it just that little bit out of alignment which makes the low note response a nightmare. This is why the built in pegs that some baris now come with are attached to a bracket on the bow and not the bell.

I think you probably could DIY something just as good. I was considering one of these; https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-DS553B-Acoustic-Euphonium-Instrument/dp/B00KK1BH06

in combination with a slack neck strap just to have something to rest the bow on and take a bit of the weight off. Then COVID hit, gigs went away, and the bands I play with are presently in limbo for various reasons. $100 seems like more than I want to spend on this kind of experiment right now. If that thing was $35-$40 I'd be more inclined to have a go.

A lightweight camp stool like this; REI Co-op Trail Stool | REI Co-op
would also be an option except they are all several inches too short for what I need.

· Premium Member
Bari: Yamaha YBS-62, Alto:1931 Martin Handcraft
40 Posts
I’ve been playing bari since I was a 90lb jr. high kid. That was 25 years ago and I think some kind of support peg would have done wonders sitting back then. I’ve just been using what the maker gave me for support and I’m sure I have the neck and upper back X-rays to prove it.

2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m just surprised there’s not more available for extra support while standing, that isn’t basically a tall stationary stand. I have pretty broad shoulders & chest, and use a harness to get the weight off my neck, but it’s pretty awkward. I’ve got a 12M, and think about pics I’ve seen of young, skinny Gerry Mulligan with what looks like a shoe string for a strap. Don’t know if he had back issues when he got older or not.

· Registered
3,688 Posts
I use an Adorence strap. Works great on bari and all my horns:

· Registered
YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,665 Posts
Sax Rax used to make one call the Sax Stick but it looks like they only make the seated version now.
At least according to the Sax Sax website, they still make the standing version and it is in stock as of today:

· Premium Member
Bari: Yamaha YBS-62, Alto:1931 Martin Handcraft
40 Posts
At least according to the Sax Sax website, they still make the standing version and it is in stock as of today:
Interesting. I honestly didn’t even know this was a thing. I think this would feel so foreign to me after having a strap for the last 30 years. I’d feel too disconnected from the horn.

· Registered
3 Posts
I’m just surprised there’s not more available for extra support while standing, that isn’t basically a tall stationary stand. I have pretty broad shoulders & chest, and use a harness to get the weight off my neck, but it’s pretty awkward. I’ve got a 12M, and think about pics I’ve seen of young, skinny Gerry Mulligan with what looks like a shoe string for a strap. Don’t know if he had back issues when he got older or not.
I'm sure he did. Did you ever see Hammiet Bluiett playing bari with Mingus back in the 70s? No probs, right? Fast forward 35+ years with the now grey-haired version playing in the World Saxophone Quartet using a stand to play while standing. Age spares nobody.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts