Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought this horn on Shopgoodwill.com without a neck. I was curious because I’ve heard good things about the Conn Pan American. I found a basic Prestini alto neck on EBay as a starting point, just to see if I could get sound out of it. The neck was too small for the horn so I wrapped plumber’s tape around the neck tenon. WOWZA!

This horn sings, top to bottom. Ergos are a little unfamiliar (I’ve been practicing with an Antigua Winds alto) but wow! I’d play for you all if I played saxophone yet, and maybe my ear is not keen enough. You might hear this thing and think it sounds like crap, but that’s not why I’m here.

I’m here because the plumber’s tape is a temporary solution and the neck is too damn pretty. What’s the solution for the skinny neck tenon and how do I age this neck?

Musical instrument Wood Wind instrument Chair Metal

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Reed

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Yellow

Musical instrument Light Reed instrument Wind instrument Line

Musical instrument Shoe Dress Wind instrument Brass instrument

Wow, this horn is going in the stand and the Antigua Winds is going back in it’s case.

Reactions: Hassles

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,808 Posts
sometimes these cheap horns will amaze you. i have a bundy alto with rubber pads that just blows me away and i own most of the top vintage altos.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
You'll want to check intonation over the full range of the horn. Using a non-original neck can affect that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What is a Continental Colonial? Is it a Pan American stencil or a Conn stencil. I agree the alto sounds great. Haven't tried the tenor.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Pan American was Conn's second line horn, basically Conn mechanics and tube with cost-reduced details.

The horn pictured looks exactly like a Conn mechanically to me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I guess I was curious if the Continental Colonial was made in the Conn factory or the Pan American factory. Degrees of pecking order.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,050 Posts
@tenorsfan call your tech and see if they have the tool to size the tenon. If you have a caliper measure the inside receiver and the outside of the neck tenon. The difference is how much +/- The tenon will need to be enlarged.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,924 Posts
What is a Continental Colonial? Is it a Pan American stencil or a Conn stencil. I agree the alto sounds great. Haven't tried the tenor.
I guess I was curious if the Continental Colonial was made in the Conn factory or the Pan American factory. Degrees of pecking order.
I have a silverplated 'CC' tenor that I assume was made in the Pan Am factory .

It's a little different cosmetically than my other split bell Pan Am tenors, but plays
similarly, and is also similar to my Conn NWII Trans tenor in that it has a curved
high E touch .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,667 Posts
DIY resizing of a neck tenon depends on how adventurous you are feeling. Having a tech adjust it might be cheaper. Matching the look of the new neck to the old sax is probably more difficult. Most new "lacquer" is really some kind of an epoxy. Paint removers, solvents, etc. won't remove it. Heat probably would, but that's a little dicey. Then bury it in the back yard for a couple of years. Cork and pad would have to be replaced, of course. Likely a time and cost expense that won't ever mask the fact that it is a different neck. You may need to join the ranks of those who value how a sax plays over how it looks.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Well, a stencil Pan American alto with a non-original neck has essentially zero collector value anyway, so 1) anything you do to try to alter the neck finish won't harm its value; 2) you don't even need to do anything.

I'd try acetone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts