Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m really digging on “He done her wrong” from TIME IN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNusE6rLDAo

It’s got me looking for a lead sheet, but coming up dry.

Does anyone have one?

It has some google crossover with “Frankie and Johnny” - was DB filing serial numbers and slapping on a coat of paint for an interpretation?

Inquiring minds want to know. :mrgreen:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Straight from the Dave Brubeck website:
The title track has Stravinsky-esque chords that introduce a delicate theme, which disintegrates into a dissonant swing. There is also Brubeck variation on "Frankie and Johnnie," on "He Done Her Wrong." This track comes charging out of the box à la the Ramsey Lewis trio in a fit of pure one-four-five groove, with Desmond playing ostinato throughout the chorus. And here, Brubeck shows his love of tradition: Inside his solo, comprised of chords and striated intervallic figures that are just off the harmonic series, he never leaves the original behind; it is always readily evoked at any moment in the tune.
It's a straightforward 12-bar blues. Once you figure out what key it's in, and how to play the head, you're golden.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice that it IS a rework of Frankie and Johnnie, seemed to be, but after listening to middle school musicians day after day, sometimes I don't trust my ears.

I knew it was a blues - I just HATE reinventing the wheel. It's ALWAYS easier if someone else does the heavy lifting, hahahaha!

Time to fire up the pencil and paper!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts