Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a lil’ time to chill this afternoon before catching a flight home, and was enjoying this

when I heard this

It turns out that my favorite beer server at my favorite brewpub likes to find obscure musicians by searching birthdays. Well, he found a gem with Wilton Gaynair. Liner notes of the CD say that Wilton was from Jamaica, but moved to Europe in the ‘50s. Awesome, fat tone, and ultimately musical lines. I’ve got to find some Gaynair for my personal collection.

Anyone else heard of this artist?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow. This is the first I've ever heard of this Jamaican ex-pat Tenor. Well worth checking out!! Soulful, muscular. "Blue Ghana" is on youtube with a few more.
Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,444 Posts
Great sound. Like, if he had gone a different direction he would've fit into the 'Texas tenor' bag pretty well.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Really appreciate the tip, Doc! As said above, awesome tone, soulful, muscular playing. I’m digging this one, I’m sure I’ll like many others.
https://youtu.be/C8fREv7fvfY

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
He was obviously rated pretty highly by musician contemporaries in London. Terry Shannon and Bill Eyden were among the top session men of the day.

·
32,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great news - I found this CD on Amazon and it is wonderful. I’ve been listening to it all week long on my commute.

Gotta say one thing for the California rush hour traffic, it makes for an excellent listening opportunity!

Highly recommended! (Wilton Gaynair, that is. Not the traffic.)

·
32,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
“Joy Spring” by Wilton “Bogey” Gaynair - More awesome tenor tone!

“Joy Spring” is in my head - thought I’d share Wilton’s version with you here. Thanks to Dave Pollack for sharing his Two Tenors version, which is a more driving tempo.

Either way, it’s a great tune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts