Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
Reactions: Frank D

· Registered
324 Posts
The only thing worse than reading about jazz is hearing someone talk about it.
While sipping on a glass of 2-year-old cabernet at a jazz festival...pretending they're enjoying the music and the wine.

· Registered
1,733 Posts
I never really checked out Turrentine until a couple of years ago, and even then I only did it because Michael Brecker always mentioned him as a major influence. Since then, he's become a favorite. There's a 2-CD compilation of the sessions he did with Grant Green that regularly gets played at our house when it's time to relax and pretend to enjoy our wine.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,403 Posts
JOYRIDE.

Those Oliver Nelson charts.
This is why I keep coming back to SotW. Despite my deep appreciation of Stanley Turrentine, I have never heard this album.

Loving it.

Thank you.

P.S. He always kept good company too.

Personnel

Orchestra

· Registered
Armstrong Heritage alto, Martin Comm III Tenor, Yamaha YTS-21, Altus flute
300 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,403 Posts
Reactions: Frank D

· Distinguished SOTW Member.
5,324 Posts
... and Shirley Scott.

Those magical groups with a B3 had a heavy influence on me.
JOYRIDE and Shirley's album Everybody Loves a Lover were the only two remaining
albums in my Dad's collection, but I grew up with those two.

He was in the service in the mid 60s - stationed in Korea with Anthony Braxton,
drummers Gaylord Birch and David Lee and played in the Army band with them.
Also in the Army band..
There was a tenor player named Ron Finck that according to my dad could really
play funky like Stanley T. I think Ron was from the New England area and continued
playing there until he passed away awhile ago. Maybe someone here's heard of him.

Anyway, my dad's older sister confiscated a lot of his Jazz albums while he was away
but he still a small collection and these were among them. He stopped serious playing
when he got out in' 65 and married my mom in '66. I came along in '67 .

Yeah,, Shirley Scott !

· SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
25,083 Posts
Oh man, one of my all time favorites. I'll never forget the first time I saw him live back in the late '70s at Mandrakes, a small club near the foot of University Ave in Berkley. The place was packed, and he was up there on the bandstand with his brother Tommy on trumpet. Just dripping with soul & the blues. His tone on the tenor was something to behold. You can get a good feel for it on the recordings, but hearing it live added another dimension. One of the true greats!

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
4,135 Posts
Another total fan of Stanley here. Like the other famous Stan, his playing helped to bring the saxophone back to the general public.
One of my own sadnesses: I never heard him live. He somehow escaped the european summer festivals tours.
Check Michael Brecker's solo on Midnight Voyage, album Tales of the Hudson. The influence of Mr. T is obvious. MB in laid back mode.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts