Sax on the Web Forum banner

Swing Machine

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  gary 
#1 ·
I play in my middle school jazz band we got a new song, Swing Machine
well we're supposed to play the blues scale (G-Bb-C-C#-D-F-G) for the solos
but I cant figure out a good solo for it...
any suggestions???:?

#3 ·
First, you need to come to an understanding of what "swing" is. Swing is equivalent to a "groove" and, like any groove, is based on the rhythm section. You are still young and have a lot to learn. But, that's okay because almost every musician playing swing style learns "on the job." :cool: Give yourself time and experience will give you an edge. You have a good start because you know the notes. To this day I still have have the tendency to say, "Let's do this again because I can do better on the next take." ;)

#4 ·
You just have to improvise a lot on the scale and discover your licks or things that go along well. If it's a normal blues scheme (I-IV-I-V-IV-I) you can play
G-Bb-B-C-C#-D-F-G (try to use the Bb-B together, they sound awsome and they give a good feeling in which chord you are)
In the IV chord, leave the B and emphasize [spelling:p] it.
In the V chord, use this:
G-Bb-B-C-C#-D-F-F#-G, with emphasis on the F-F#.
I guess this should give some interesting licks already...

#5 ·
Carbs said:
Do you lesson to Jazz? Thats were alot of Solo Ideas come from. Have you tried searching other threads on Improving?
cometcrater, just to get you moving along, I think Carbs means to look for threads on "Improvising". Also "Do you listen to jazz?"

Do an advanced search for thread titles using the word "blues".

#6 ·
#7 ·
Thanks Gary, you are right again.

Cometcrater,
I've merged your cross posting violation threads together because there were replies in both. I know you're new to the board M8, so please take a few minutes to have a look at the posting rules for future reference.

Thanks.

#8 ·
cometcrater - nose around this link. http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/ There are some good ideas there you can use.

Also, maybe someone can find it and post it here, there was a discussion just recently on the blues scale and how to use it with some good information, although you'll have to wade through a lot of un-usefull info for you but just take what you can use and forget all the rest for the time being.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.