PDA

View Full Version : Refacers?

Fun Bun
04-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Hey, folks. I was wondering how have you guys used to get your pieces refaced? With all due respect to JVW and Theo, I'd like to know about other refacers out there.

Thanks

Quijote
04-13-2003, 02:24 AM
MojoBari did a GR8 work on my sop Berg. :D

MojoBari
04-13-2003, 03:50 AM
...Ah hah... now I know Quijote's secret identity! Thanks.

Bill Mecca
04-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Keith also tweaked my T-75 Jumbo Java, now my main piece. great work and a great guy too.

Thre are others out there, but I have no first hand experience with them.

Giles
04-13-2003, 04:52 PM
I also highly recommend Mojo. Get him now before his time is scarse!

David Spiegelthal
04-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Since nobody's mentioned me, I'll toot my own horn (so to speak) and say that I reface mouthpieces and can modify baffles also; any and all materials (including crystal and stainless steel). You can contact me at: spiegelthal.dave@orbital.com I apologize for this self-serving commercial message.

Fun Bun
04-16-2003, 04:23 AM
David, No problem with tooting your own horn. I guess by now everyone has heard that Jon Van Wie, an admirable refacer, is now dead. Truth be told I'm looking for a new mouthpiece technician! I love my JVW Link. But I've go a Runyon comming with my Goodson Model tenor and I will probably need some work done.

Paul Coats
04-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Theo at Mouthpiece Heaven, and Doc Tenney also do refacing.

You can send a mouthpiece to Runyon Products, marked attention Leroy, and he can open the tip for you, but will do no other modification, such as baffles.

I also do refacing, and can do certain modifications, within reason.

tenorman@teche.net

Paul Coats
04-16-2003, 02:20 PM
I forgot to mention Bob Ackermann.

Ytrac Productions
04-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Dont forget the legend of Memphis himself, Wil Grizzle. Wil is living here in Atlanta now and still does the best mouthpiece work around.

I am currently studying with Wil to learn his art. Hopefully will be ready by Fall to begin my own excursion into the world of refacing.

BigDaddyJ
04-16-2003, 03:22 PM
Jey Clark:

http://www.saxmouthpiece.com/

He's done some great work for me.

singlereed
04-16-2003, 04:19 PM
I thoroughly recommend Anton Weinberg at Dawkes in Maidenhead, UK. I own one of his handmade tenor pieces and also a clarinet one. He refaced a HR Beechler piece for me that just didn't play right, and it was totally transformed. He has a huge collection of vintage mouthpieces and records of facings for reference. I also felt his charge of £25 including return post was very reasonable, and the work was done in a couple of days. I also found him helpful when selecting standard mouthpieces, from talking to me about what I play and looking at my horn, he offered 5 or 6 pieces to try and all were very good.

Johannes Gerber
04-16-2003, 10:57 PM
I've previously concentrated on the South African market for refacing and mods only.
Since Jon taught me refacing, I never wanted to invade into his grazing fields overseas. I also didn't tell anybody that Jon taught me, because that would have created a lot of extra emails for Jon from 'want to be refacers'.

Now Jon is gone, and I miss him very much, and I'm the lucky person to have lots of refacing info from the master himself.

I don't concentrate as much as previously on refacing since I have my own line mouthpieces and I'm busy expanding them.

However, I still take refacing work. I do facing changes, chamber work, biteplate replacement, broken tip repairs, cracked shanks etc. full mouthpiece overhauls, which include plating.

I seldom do a tip or facing change only, the way Jon taught me is to get the table, facing and baffle profile, together with the chamber size balanced with each other. That makes a piece sing really well.

See www.geocities.com/jgerberza for pictures of my work.

MojoBari
04-17-2003, 01:22 AM
Simply georgeous.

Tim Price
04-17-2003, 12:30 PM
I agree with Paul C...Bob Ackermann has been at it for ever and on top of it he REALLY plays the saxophone professionally,and has been at this for decades.He's got the sensativity as a player to know.
Other long time re-facers...are John Yoakum and John Reilly in LosAngeles.You need them?They are in local 47 union book for L.A. THey are top notch and everyone in L.A has used them for something.
For clarinet- JimmY Yan- JY Woodwinds on 54 St.He IS the best of the best for clarinet. Stanley Drucker of NY PHil uses him a lot!!!!
Then there's Mike Blanchard in Chicago...who used to be Frank Wells right hand assistant.My friend Steve Berlin,from LosLobos, had some pieces done by him..and they were really nice.Great re-facer.And, taught by the best-Frank Wells.
MY MAN...Is Fred Lamberson.He's got a thing that is just the coolest for me.But..with that said- Fred also can play ANY gig professionally.So I think it's hip if the chef can make more than grilled cheese sandwitches!! 8)
Hope this is a help :!:

MojoBari
04-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Its cool to be able to play, but not neccessary. Jon Van Wie could not "play". I do think it is an advantage to be able to test a piece through all it is suppose to do. Fast articulations, altissimo, subtones, etc.

I think the main qualities of a good refacer are:
1. analytical
2. knowledge/experiance
3. craftmanship
4. can play well enough to test the work

Refacing strategy also varies. Some are more traditional/conservative and want only to make the piece the best it can be within the intent of the original design. Others will customize a piece (shaping/adding baffles, etc) to change it into something else that will get the job done. Some will do repairs, some wont work on hard metals, some are better at sax/clar/classical/jazz/rock...

Then there are good business qualities. Good communications, fair pricing and turnaround, honesty, follow-up customer service.

MojoBari
04-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Oh, on refacing strategy I meant to include that most use gages but a few do not. I do not think it is possible to get good consistent results without using gages. It is hard enough with gages. Just be warned that you are taking additional risk in using a refacer that does not use a feeler/glass gage system. A tip opening gage is less important.

Tim Price
04-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Ytrac tell Will Grizzle I said a big HELLO!!!!
I thought Jon played enough to play test a piece.I think a guy actually gave him a Yamaha tenor, to play test stuff.IN JVW case, he was gifted.I've seen tons of his work-and it was always perfect.He was supposed to be on this planet to do that I guess.What a humble sweet guy.
Another in NyC who can fix bumps and chips is Bill Singer.Bill has done some stuff to friends pieces that is high level.
I bet someday, colleges will teach this stuff.It's coming that close.Some schools teach repairing to.The world is expanding with all this positive knowledge.Frank Wells did not play either.His gift was he was a very very studied pro engineer and had EARS musically that were to die for.Frank Wells was a innonvator.A genius.I miss him a lot.
Mojo this guy you woulda loved-he was just wonderful.
Bergonzi is another GREAT refacer-tho he only does his own.
It's a tough thing, my hats off to anyone who approaches this task.

MS
04-17-2003, 03:33 PM
I have had pieces done by Frank Wells and Mike Blanchard in Chicago. Both are artists.

Currently I'm working with Bill Street of Gorham, Maine. (207)-839-2231
He does excellent work, especially on round chambers. Has his own line of hand finished - all saxophones (sop, alto, tenor, C-melody, bari, etc.), and all clarinets. He's also an excellent artist repairman. Teaches part-time at the university of Southern Maine.

I'm careful what I ask him for, because that's what I get.

Tim Price
04-17-2003, 03:45 PM
MS- Thanx for Street info- Bill did a bunch of bass clary pieces for my doubling students and they are so good its unreal.A very good bass clary piece.
Bill used to live in Boston, back in "the day".
Amazing musician to I hear.Does he still make that Prez model mth?
Real Prez fan that Bill Street 8)

MS
04-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Tim, I find out new things all the time about Bill. I'm sure if he made a Prez model, he still can. I've worked with him for a classical mps that I can play-big sound with clarity and able to move some air. For jazz, a fun contemporary mps, also a mps that goes in the Cannonball direction. Tenor mps a hard rubber that's better than any HR Link I've ever played and a high baffle tenor that is BIG and really screams projection. He's very aware of voicing and, for me his pieces-once you get used to them-offer the next level of control.

Recently, he's mentioned that he really likes the low register sound of Dewey Redman, and he's a big Cannonball/Phil Woods fan. He's forever listening to new CD's and catching players live. Three years ago, I asked him if he had heard Eric Alexander, and the next time I talked to him he had four or five of Eric's CD, so he's keeping current.

Students that I've referred him to, have been MORE than happy with his work, both his pieces and his refacing work.

Tim Price
04-17-2003, 04:15 PM
[quote="MS"] Recently, he's mentioned that he really likes the low register sound of Dewey Redman, and he's a big Cannonball/Phil Woods fan. He's forever listening to new CD's and catching players live. Three years ago, I asked him if he had heard Eric Alexander, and the next time I talked to him he had four or five of Eric's CD, so he's keeping current.

Man- that is inspiring.He knew guys in Boston like Sam Rivers who played his piece on those early Sam R BlueNotes.
That's what I admire a guy who never stops cuz this music is constantly moving ahead.That was inspiring MS thanx. :D

reedsburn62
05-19-2003, 02:20 PM
Mike Blanchard does most of my work since I'm in the Chicago area. I was fortunate to meet Frank Wells before he passed, what a character!
Jey Clark does great work also, I'm playing on a HR Link (modern) that he tweaked.
I also have a HR Berg that the late Jon Van Wie worked on that is wonderful. I prefer Links now but I won't part with my Jon VanBerg since it has some interesting possibilities.
Lamberson, I dig his soprano mouthpiece that I'm playing on now, superb craftmanship.
Doc Tenney, I passed up (foolishly) a HR Link that he tweaked. I thought I couldn't afford it at the time, that was a mistake. This piece was beautiful.
Thankfully the artisan attitude of mouthpiece refacing is not a dying one. These new names on this site are a sigh of relief that all is not being lost with the absence of Jon, Frank, Santy and those who are getting up there in years.

PhilF
05-26-2003, 05:50 PM
I specifically came to this site to decide who to choose for mouthpiece work now that Jon is gone. I'm from NY state and have talked with and had work done by him, a great loss. Now, :) I'm deciding to go with Keith...Mojo. From what I read so far, he seems to obtain the characteristics, he outlined, which apply to a good crasftsman. This is highly skilled technical work and I think your playing skills are very secondary...provided you could test out your work on the horn. Jon was one of the best, in my opinion, and he used to laugh when I asked how he blew....I got the point. :)

Johannes Gerber
05-27-2003, 03:44 PM
Jon was THE BEST.

kennyj
05-28-2003, 03:23 AM
I'm of the older generation that knew Frank Wells when his shop was a dinky dive under the el-tracks. He was always wonderful, and did have the best ears in town. He made 2 clarinet pieces for me, that are still in use, and he perfected an older NY meyer alto piece that sadly no longer exists.

Anybody remember Frank's coffee? He would always offer coffee, and hand over a steaming mug of java, that unfortunately was not too deep, with crud filling the bottom third, or so, of the cup (every cup, every time)! But we never mentioned that to him, we loved him so.

ii-V-I
kenny j

conntenor
06-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Anybody know how it cost for Theo at mouthpiece heaven to open a .060 to a .105? Rubber mouthpiece.

Thanks

Subtone Sam
06-10-2003, 05:15 PM
In the UK,Ed Pillinger and Freddie Gregory.

singlereed
06-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Freddie Gregory lives in Belgium. Also in UK there is Anton Weinberg, at Dawkes Music.

Fun Bun
06-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Doesn't Bob Minzter play a Freddie Gregory piece?

singlereed
06-11-2003, 03:14 PM
I think he does. So do I. I don't play like Bob though!

stitch
06-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Currently I'm working with Bill Street of Gorham, Maine.

If you're in regular contact with Bill Street, MS, would you mind asking him a question for me? I did try emailing him at the U of Maine, but to no effect. I have a Bill Street c-mel m/p that seems to be sized for alto reeds rather than tenor. The obvious answer is that if alto reeds fit, then that's what I should use, but my admittedly very limited research suggests that tenor is more normal. Could you find out if he made/makes alto as well as tenor c-mel pieces?

Thanks in advance.

singlereed
06-12-2003, 03:22 PM
And I stand corrected, Freddie Gregory's website says he is in London - though he used to work in Belgium. See http://www.freddiegregory.com

MM
06-18-2003, 07:04 AM
I've gotten one recommendation for Bob Carpenter in Seattle. Has anyone else heard of him? I had two raves for Will Grizzle.

MS
06-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Stitch - Bill Street doesn't do internet, so you'll need to call him:
(207)- 839 - 2231. I live six or eight states away, so it's not likely I'll talk to him until I need to order another mps.

MS
06-18-2003, 01:14 PM
Stitch - I just noticed you live in UK - I'll see what I can do.

MS
06-18-2003, 03:40 PM
Stritch - Bill says to use a tenor reed. I don't know anything regarding his Cmelody mps. Usually a flat cut reed will work on his pieces.

Is there any type of facing designation on the mps? If it's a jazz type, usually Vandoren Javas 3 or 3 1/2, Zonda 3F, Hemke 3 reeds will work if the facing says 7J or 8J.

He does a lot of special order work and if you didn't get the mps directly from him, it's hard to tell which one you have unless there's a facing number. Good luck and have fun! :D

stitch
06-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks a million MS - I just love this forum :)

The only markings are 'by Bill Street' on the top, and '3' on the side. Tenor reeds are too wide, so I suppose the other possibility is that it's an alto piece somehow included with my c-mel. I'll have to try it on an alto, though I doubt I'm a good enough player to know if it's right or not :?

Anyway, thanks again.

MS
06-19-2003, 01:41 AM
If it's a "3" alto, it will probably be a classic or utility type mps -classci/easy jazz. The same reeds I suggested above might be a place to start. if you need harder a Zonda 3 1/2-I or up a Vandoren Bllue box size 3 may work. His pieces tend to fill a room with presence and big sound. VEry sensitive to voicing for colors. Have fun.

Nick
06-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Dont forget the legend of Memphis himself, Wil Grizzle. Wil is living here in Atlanta now and still does the best mouthpiece work around.

I am currently studying with Wil to learn his art. Hopefully will be ready by Fall to begin my own excursion into the world of refacing.

Ytrac, I may be going to Atlanta in the future, and if I do, I would bring my m'pieces to him to look at. Can you give me his email address or a # in oreder to contact him? Thanks, Nick

Nick
06-28-2003, 03:25 PM
I forgot to mention Bob Ackermann.

Paul, where is Bob Ackerman loacted? Nick

Nick
06-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Oh, on refacing strategy I meant to include that most use gages but a few do not. I do not think it is possible to get good consistent results without using gages. It is hard enough with gages. Just be warned that you are taking additional risk in using a refacer that does not use a feeler/glass gage system. A tip opening gage is less important.

Kieth, this is Nick, and I have talked to you before. I lost your email address when my computer crashed. Could you please send me your new email address. I'm going to be in NJ in October, and maybe I can come in early and see you with some of my m'pieces. Thanks, Nick

Nick
06-28-2003, 03:40 PM
I agree with Paul C...Bob Ackermann has been at it for ever and on top of it he REALLY plays the saxophone professionally,and has been at this for decades.He's got the sensativity as a player to know.
Other long time re-facers...are John Yoakum and John Reilly in LosAngeles.You need them?They are in local 47 union book for L.A. THey are top notch and everyone in L.A has used them for something.
For clarinet- JimmY Yan- JY Woodwinds on 54 St.He IS the best of the best for clarinet. Stanley Drucker of NY PHil uses him a lot!!!!
Then there's Mike Blanchard in Chicago...who used to be Frank Wells right hand assistant.My friend Steve Berlin,from LosLobos, had some pieces done by him..and they were really nice.Great re-facer.And, taught by the best-Frank Wells.
MY MAN...Is Fred Lamberson.He's got a thing that is just the coolest for me.But..with that said- Fred also can play ANY gig professionally.So I think it's hip if the chef can make more than grilled cheese sandwitches!! 8)
Hope this is a help :!:

Tim, I'm from Detroit, and would like to know how to get in touch with the man in Chicago. Can you send me info on how to contact them?

Thanks, Nick

reedsburn62
06-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Nick,
I posted about Mike Blanchard also. Since I'm in the Chicago area I use Mike. www.saxshop.com

Nick
06-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Since nobody's mentioned me, I'll toot my own horn (so to speak) and say that I reface mouthpieces and can modify baffles also; any and all materials (including crystal and stainless steel). You can contact me at: spiegelthal.dave@orbital.com I apologize for this self-serving commercial message.

Dave, where are you located? Nick

David Spiegelthal
06-30-2003, 02:21 PM
I'm in Calverton, Virginia --- I do my of my refacing/modification work on mouthpieces mailed in to me. By the way, I have a new email address: daves@boblight.net; or my phone number is 540-788-7624.

MojoBari
07-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Could you please send me your new email address. I'm going to be in NJ in October, and maybe I can come in early and see you with some of my m'pieces. Thanks, Nick
kwbradbury@yahoo.com

danny_tb
09-09-2003, 01:58 AM
The Aussies and New Zealanders (perhaps others too) could try Mark Spencer (contact him through Dr Sax in Melbourne):

http://www.drsax.com.au/info.htm

Excellent workmanship, and I reckon it has to be a lot faster turn-around time than sending your mpc to the USA (due to the time in transit). You can see what I've posted about his work on my Florida HR Otto Link in the general mouthpiece discussion section. My comments there are (of course) not to be taken as putting down any other mouthpiece man's work, etc - just a statement of fact of how good I think Mark's work is.

DB

David Spiegelthal
09-09-2003, 03:26 PM
For anyone needing refacing services, my email address has changed: I can now be reached at either spiegelthal.dave@orbital.com or dspieg@boblight.net

The spammers got to my old email address and overwhelmed it with junk mail, so I've changed it.

Johannes Gerber
09-09-2003, 05:32 PM
My website has changed.

The new address is www.jgerber.com - it is still under construction. I'm trying hard to finish in between all the mpc work. Soon you will see some amazing things on there to be updated all the time.

My new email: jo at jgerber dot com

Best to you all
Johannes

Sigmund451
09-24-2003, 05:45 PM
Someone suggested on the board that the old vintage HR George Bundy MPCs are good blanks for refacing...did they know what they were talking about. I have one here in a drawer that I just cant squeese any air through (3).

If they are decent blanks, what are their tonal qualities when opened up to around a equivilant of a link 5*? Im also wondering how much such work would set me back and if the money would be better spent elswhere.

Im not looking to hire the god of refacing...I paid 8 bucks for the thing so if someone is pretty good and wants to take a shot at it for a resonable rate I may be up for it.

Sigmund451@hotmail.com

Paul Coats
09-25-2003, 05:32 AM
Bob Ackerman is Progressive Winds:

http://bobackermansaxophones.com/

Theo Wanne is Mouthpiece Heaven:

http://www.mouthpieceheaven.com/

Saxophone Mouthpiece Heaven
237 Northwestern Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19128
E-mail: theo@mouthpieceheaven.com

David Spiegelthal
09-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Sigmund 451,
Bundy 3 blanks ARE good candidates for refacing --- the way yours plays with its factory facing is no indication of anything EXCEPT that the stock facing is crappy (which we have already established). From a refacer's point of view, the Bundy 3 is basically a Babbitt Co. blank, which has good internal dimensions, is made of pretty good quality hard rubber, and has sufficient "meat" left on it to allow a fair amount of material removing during refacing. I've made quite a few excellent mouthpieces from Bundy 3 "blanks" for bass and contra-alto clarinets, bari sax, and Bb clarinet, so it CAN be done. But you gotta pay my outrageous price, which is $30. Or try it yourself, and best o'luck to ya!

Sigmund451
09-25-2003, 10:00 PM
send me your email, I have some more questions if you dont mind. Or you can email me at sigmund451@hotmail.com

David Spiegelthal
09-26-2003, 05:00 PM
I'm at: spiegelthal.dave@orbital.com or: dspieg@boblight.net

Johannes Gerber
11-25-2003, 04:14 PM
I have made some changes to my website, and hope to update it on a regular basis from now on.

Thank you for your support
Regards
JG

www.jgerber.com

Tim Price
12-03-2003, 09:07 AM
BTW~Johannes...that metal Berg you had on E bay looked beautiful.
Thats hard work on those steel monsters-GOOD FOR YOU. Congratulations :)

Johannes Gerber
12-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Thank you Tim,

It is my art, I take great pride in everything I do, and I never stop until I'm not 100% happy. Sometimes a piece is finished, pollished, and after a weeks playing I might decide to change it more, gone are all the effort spent polishing it!

Stainless is great to work with if you file a baffle and thin the rails, or mill it. But it's a lot tougher to do the fine work, and to remove all the filemarks. The hardest part of SS is when your tools are blunt. It wears down the files quickly, but it's reasonable to work with if the carbide paper is new and the files are new.

If you have a method of checking your table for accuracy, it can be achieved without too much headache, but if you do the guess job, it is very very very frustrating.

I know... 5 years ago when I met Jon, he brought me on track. Before that it was so bad, that I would sometimes put a SS piece aside for weeks until I feel like it again. Luckily all that has changed, and I still find myself improving everyday.

This is the one thing in life that I love doing and I have a passion to improve myself everytime I take that piece in my hand.

Best
JG

Tim Price
12-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Thank you Tim, It is my art, I take great pride in everything I do, This is the one thing in life that I love doing and I have a passion to improve myself everytime I take that piece in my hand.Best JG

WOW~ That is very inspirational Johannes. I think as I read some of your posts and see pictures of your work that you would of loved the late mouthpiece master Frank Wells. Frank could re do a Berg so well that it was like a religious act. :lol: You would of loved Frank.
I think it's great for all saxophonists that there are guys out there like you getting into it deep and after perfection.Keep on with the excellent approach and be well :)

Saxa
12-13-2003, 12:10 AM
I lost his phone number and email address, need work on a mint Chedville HR Tenor M saxa@asurfer.com
Thanks

Subtone Sam
12-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Jo Gerber did absolutely beautiful job with an alto Dukoff I sent him.I can highly recommend his services,this guy is an artist!

Ytrac Productions
01-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Nick, Wil is very old school and does not even own a computer. Email me at ytrac@aol.com or call me at 404-992-5780 and I can get you in contact with Wil.

License to Blow
01-09-2004, 11:01 AM
I was told by Wil, while visiting Alanta area that he is no longer taking in any more mouthpiece work due to advance arthritis.

Wil is a great person with such passion for his work. I hate to see people in pain when they're doing the things they enjoy doing.

UNTplayer
02-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Tom Ridenour in Dallas refaces mouthpieces. Last I knew, he did not work on metal mouthpieces.

souldiablo
03-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Does anybody know of any good mpc refacers living in Fl i have been wanting to get one of my mouthpieces refaced but i haven't heard about anyone living around here that does that kind of thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse :D

MojoBari
03-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Try Peter Ponzol.

souldiablo
03-06-2004, 11:50 PM
i checked out his website and i found nothing about refacing.
any insights?

Jesse

MojoBari
03-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Email him to see if he will reface for you, or knows someone else in the area who will.

Otherwise, many refacers work via mail. You dont have to use someone in Florida. Its more important that you find someone who is not a "hack".

wersax
03-17-2004, 03:20 AM
And I have to second or third the motion on Will Grizzle (I've lost count). Will does all my mouthpiece refacing and he's a real pro; if you're in the Southeast and need help, look him up!!!!

tinpalaceroach
03-22-2004, 06:34 AM
i can highly recomend mojobari for his precise analytical work, also bob ackerman is wonderful and if he can't then he has others(ken tubbs) that can. i recently had an mpc experience with another sotw member(gwindplayer)greg who is also precise.

retiredmilitary
03-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Hello MojoBari

I have A selmer "D" That I would like to have the tip opened some, is this a possibility?

Thanks

MojoBari
03-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Yes. Email me privately. (click on the Email icon).

Rackety Sax
05-12-2004, 02:22 AM
This is a great list of refacers and a great discussion of the artistry involved in this work. Am I correct in the impression that most of the refacers mentioned focus more on jazz pieces? Do any of you/them focus on or at least work on classical mouthpieces as well? I'm thinking of Selmer C*/S80/Teal/Soloist types of things but especially the barrel-chambered Raschers, old Bueschers, Caravans and so on. I'm using a stock Caravan that I really like but there's always the question in the back of my mind whether it would benefit from refacing.

- Glenn Good

singlereed
05-12-2004, 09:24 AM
I think the greatest market for expensive mouthpieces and associated custom work is among the jazzers. However, the skills are the same and I have bought new mouthpieces for classical playing from Pillinger and Weinberg, and have also had refacing done by Weinberg on classical pieces.

paulwl
05-12-2004, 11:32 AM
I think your typical legit saxer is concerned that refacing may change the tone away from accepted standards. (Clarinetists, interestingly, don't have such concerns, even tho their tone standards are much tighter.)

I just had a couple of poor playing Buescher Tru-Lays redone to C* spec (.067" for alto, .071" for tenor). I was surprised how live and flexible they became – more of a vintage sweet band or dance music tone, still dark but no longer classically somber. I'd stick with my original faced .055" and .060" for that.

Refacers can help legit mpcs thru balancing. Most of the popular ones are machine-faced, after all, and that has its inconsistencies.

Merlin
05-30-2004, 02:12 AM
I think your typical legit saxer is concerned that refacing may change the tone away from accepted standards. Refacers can help legit mpcs thru balancing. Most of the popular ones are machine-faced, after all, and that has its inconsistencies.

This is quite often what I end up doing for people. I've refaced a lot of C*'s that were not on spec. The players are often amazed at how much better they respond after a simple touchup.

WhisprnJohn
06-15-2004, 04:02 AM
This is in reply to MM, who posted a year ago asking about Bob Carpenter in Seattle. I recently met Bob and found him to be knowlegeable and very straight up. I didn't have him work on any of my existing mouthpieces, but I bought two (alto and tenor) that he had opened and refaced. Both play magnificently. Bob's an interesting guy, and he is also a player. His rates are very reasonable as well.

garyinla
07-04-2004, 06:36 AM
I recently got a tenor d9 refaced by MOJOBARI from someone used on SOTW (Todd Y) and so far it seems to play very well. I havent played it very much yet and i mostly play alto, and i do not play a lot of altissimo yet so i cant judge altissimo playing on it.

I dont know what MOJO did to it, but it looks good andit has his MOJOBARI name on it so i assume it was a full reface.

The rails are thin and look good and the Dukoff baffle bulge was removed and there is a sligtht indentation on the baffle near the tip that certainly is not stock Dukoff design.

king koeller
07-07-2004, 07:37 AM
Ralph Morgan refaced an old Meyer 6M hard rubber mouthpiece, using feeler gauges, tip wand, a granet block milled to 1/10,000 of an inch in flatness,and a glass facing gauge. He determined that the side rails were uneven and the table was not perfectly flat. As I sat there and watched him do his magic, I was amazed at his years of experience and amount of knowledge. Here was a guy who had been at selmer for over 40 years and faced many of the original 50's and 60's Selmer Soloists and quit the company when Selmer tryed to push the square chamber S-80 on the public. He told me that machines could cut square chambered mouthpieces faster than to make round chambers by hand, and he voiced his objections to Selmer, but they cared more about money than craftmanship, so he retired. He was now free to design his own line of hand faced mouthpieces and in addition, also did refacing of any thing from clarinet to bass sax. He knew Otto Link, and the Meyer Brothers personally, and shared information with them concerning the tables and charts, developed over years and years of research as to what makes a mouthpiece really sing and respond! He told me of the whole Babbitt story about how they messed up the original Meyer brothers facing tables, and also wrote that article for the sax journal about a how an old new york Meyer is way different than a new Meyer. He stated that the facing table had been changed for no good reason by Babbit, and this is why the new meyers don't play the same way.They also changed the numbering system, an old new york Meyer 5, like Phil Woods, is a current meyer 7, (.080") tip opening, but with a facing that is shorter than the current models. His insight just blew me away,when i got my meyer back, he evened out the rails, Put the tip at .076", flattened the table, and adjusted the facing length. he polished the inner chamber and roll over baffle, and even hollowed out the sidewalls a little more. He asked me to try it out, and i was going to use any old reed, but he said always try out a mouthpiece with a new reed, because a reed will conform to a particular facing and table. I used a JAVA 3 1/2 and i couldn't believe this was the same piece i brought in. He stated that when you take the time to do it right, any thing is possible. He could take a bundy mouthpiece and make it play better than any vintage new york Meyer! so think what he could do with your setup!Then I asked him how much I owed for his services and he said the standard refacing charge of $25.00.!!?!I was like ...your kidding right? and he looked at me like I was crazy, and said no,that's the standard charge. I'm amazed that no one mentioned Ralph Morgan, because in my book he's the top refacer there is, plus a super nice guy with many stories and knowledge to share with all.
p.s. I still use this Alto Meyer '6M' Med chamber Hard rubber model refaced by him, even today, 17 years later, as it really plays and blows away any thing else I have ever tryed in my 32 years of playing the sax.
"King"

Hurling Frootmig
07-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Ralph is a very good guy. His products are top notch as well. I have a small collection of his pieces on alto and tenor. His classical pieces are especially good.

Alan K
07-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Ralph fixed and opened a well chewed Florida HR Link from 4 to 7* for me last year and he charged $45 for the work. Best $45 I have spent for my search for the holy grail.

xuanvu
07-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Does anyone here have Ralph's contact information, since I really want to reface one of my alto piece.

Thank you so much,
Kenny.

windsynthaos
07-09-2004, 04:47 PM
In a recent for sale/trade listing
http://saxontheweb.myforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=18238

somone offered a MC Gregory "clone" built by
Theo Wanne of mouthpieceheaven.com
(mouthpiece heaven has a page discussing various versions of MC Gregory mouthpieces, so it looks like Theo knows quite a bit about this subject)

Well, I missed out on that deal, but I decided I'd like something similar.
So, I popped an email off to Theo.

He politely declined, since he is moving soon and not taking custom orders.

Any of you other refacers out there reading this thread care to take a go at it?

Thanks!

Bill Mecca
07-09-2004, 05:11 PM
geez, in the past several years when hasn't Theo been moving?

magnus
08-28-2004, 01:12 AM
I've gotten one recommendation for Bob Carpenter in Seattle. Has anyone else heard of him? I had two raves for Will Grizzle.

Haven't worked with him directly, but while he's on the conservative side as far as what he does to a piece, I thoroughly enjoy the Master Link he finished that I ended up getting.

jazaddict
09-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Mojo Mojo Mojo (Alias Keith Bradbury).

Just did some baffle work on a SR tech Pro; fabulous job.

Great communicator.

Great pricing.

Highly recommended.

:D