PDA

View Full Version : Best Soprano Mouthpiece??

Mojo
03-24-2003, 03:01 PM
I just picked up my my first Soprano sax, a Yani SC902 Curved. Whoaaa I love this horn. The stock mp is the std. Yani *5 which is ok but I want more. Any opinions out there as to the ideal mp for this horn?? How about a Dukoff D-8 or D-9??

I realize thay hours at the music store trying different ones will be neccessary, but a starting point would be helpful...

Let me know...

Mojo

Paul S
03-24-2003, 03:57 PM
Mojo depends what sound you're going for? Who are you influences?

Common opinion here and in most sax playing circles I've been in is that the HR Bari's and the most popular and univerally liked. The Selmer Soloists and modern copy, the Super Session are also well liked.

These are both good, flexible, middle of the road pieces that will work great on your Yani.

The Dukoff is probably a lot brighter (I've never tried one on soprano), I would stay away from it unless u can try a few and are really keen for a bright sound. If you are interested in bright sounds - maybe a Lawton brass B chamber? Or maybe a Guardala if you can find one. Both expensive, s be sure its what you want.

Subtone Sam
03-24-2003, 04:44 PM
I agree with Paul S. here about Dukoffs on soprano.Dukoffs Ds are not the easiest mouthpieces to play in tune on soprano,especially 8 or 9 sizes;8 is around .075 and 9 is .080,quite large.If you are after dark sound,HR Link sizes 6,7 or 8 is a good piece (or BARI,as Paul suggests).Rico Royal Metalites are great on sop.,they produce medium bright sound and good intonation.

Dave Dolson
03-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Mojo: I use a Selmer Super Session on my SC902 (and all other sops as well) . . . J-facing with soft reeds. The thing can break stemware! DAVE

Stencilman
03-24-2003, 05:07 PM
Mojo, I am coming to an end of my mouthpiece search and have settled on a Dukoff D8. It is very bright and has a "buzz" that no other mouthpiece that I tried had. The buzz can an asset in a few settings but really obnoxious in others.

Also, my D8 is quirky with reeds and is a bear to control with the wrong reed. Be aware that Dukoffs can be terribly inconsistant. I had to go through 3 Dukoffs to find the one that plays well for me. BTW, I'm doing mostly studio work that requires a pop/smooth jazz sound.

paulwl
03-24-2003, 05:36 PM
Morgans are the easiest-playing sop pieces I've tried. Rubber Links are a close second (but be sure to try a few to find a good one).

Mojo
03-24-2003, 08:35 PM
I'm looking for more of a pop, Kenny G sound. I think KG uses a Dukoff D-8. Granted, I'm far from being him, but would like to work at getting close that sound...

Mojo

super20dan
03-24-2003, 11:32 PM
hey mojo.someone has stolen your mojo!

djonk
03-25-2003, 12:04 AM
<<The Selmer Soloists and modern copy, the Super Session are also well liked.>>
Question is there currently a Selmer Soloist (for soprano) being manufactured? If so, is it the same as the old Soloist?

Or has the old Soloist, been replaced by the Super Session? If so, is the Supersession the same as the old Soloist? I am confused. Please explain the differences and/or similarities.

Dave Dolson
03-25-2003, 12:13 AM
djonk: You aren't the only one who's confused about Super Sessions and Soloists. Several people who I trust to know such things have told me the Super Sessions for soprano are Selmer's answer to the cry for a re-issued soprano Soloist.

Yet, I've read where Selmer recently issued a Super Session for alto. Now THAT doesn't do much to corroborate the claim that the Super Sessions are Soloists, does it? Selmer recently released their newly made Soloist line (for at least alto, I don't follow tenor).

So - what does it all mean? I haven't seen a good explanation of it.

All I know is that the soprano SS and the alto Soloist are the best mouthpieces I've played, so far. DAVE

JS
03-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Actually, Selmer had the prototype for the Super Session Alto mouthpiece at the IAJE in January...who knows! The Super Session Alto mpc is dark, projecting - kinda like a Meyer, but with more resistance (in a good way...) - I can't wait until they're available in the U.S.!

MojoBari
03-25-2003, 02:44 PM
hey mojo.someone has stolen your mojo!

I'm glad you can still tell us apart. 8)

Frank D
03-25-2003, 03:55 PM
If you're looking for that modern sop sound w/o the hassles of a Dukoff, I'd reccomend a HR Runyon Custom. They give a nice round sound, but add some "buzz" to the tone when pushed. Best example of this is Grover Washington, Jr.

I'm not talking about the spoiler, either. I threw mine away as soon as I got the piece.

Grumps
03-25-2003, 05:17 PM
I'm also a Selmer Super Session fan and play an 'I' on my curved Tru-Tone. But I also have a Mark VI soprano and I use a Selmer Metal Classic 'G' on that. The Metal Classic is also great for intonation and with a 'G' tip opening, helps to open up the high notes. Although it's targeted for classical, it makes a fine jazz piece as well.

Tonehole
03-25-2003, 05:49 PM
I agree with Dave I use a Super Session J on a Yani Elmo with the curved neck. Tried a lot of Bari pieces but they just didn't work for me. Use Med/Hard Lavoz reeds and original ligature, it is a nice combo.
Good hunting.

jjgold
03-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Try the Barone Pieces! On soprano and all the other horns they are exceptional. Plus you can pick some of his hard rubber pieces for a good price.

djonk
03-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Selmer makes the Suppersession. They also make the S80. The consensus here, on the forum is to discard the S80 and buy a Suppersession.

My Question is why then, does Selmer continue to make a S80? Both of these pieces are hard rubber. I suspect that the SS is only higher in price, because it does not enjoy the same volume manufacture as the S80. The S80 being standard issue on new saxes, provides a larger market, but if the S80 is inferior to the SS, why does Selmer in its STATE of THE ART image acknowledge that the SS is a better design and chalk up the S80 manufacture as history?

Of course if the S80 becomes history, then it will most likely will become a vintage collectors item demanding a used price of $200 or $300!!

MBushaw
03-26-2003, 01:36 AM
djonk- I'm old enough to remember when the scroll shank Selmer was the stock piece. Nobody used them because they were what came with the horn!
The S-80's actually worked much better on the SA-80 I and II than the scroll shank, gave the horn more character.
The new Selmers... too many models to say what one piece should come in the case.

Dave Dolson
03-27-2003, 07:01 AM
djonk: Gotta comment some more . . . while some of us like the Super Sessions, I'm sure there are many players who prefer the S80 . . . one isn't better than the other, it is a matter of personal preference. DAVE

oppai
03-27-2003, 02:05 PM
I play a yanagisawa metal and it works fine for the sort of sound you are after.

Try also Beechler Bellite and ARB.

I have many reports of the Rovner Deep V, but I could not find one yet to try. Apparently, it does give you the sort of sound you are after

ncm
03-27-2003, 04:59 PM
I love my SS with a E or better opening. The C* was good but when you finally develop some chops, the opening is not enough. So people naturally went to a different piece to get a better sound. If D, E, and F tip openings had been more available in all locations you would have had more people stick with the soloists in the first place. Just my .02 cents.

The deep V Rovner is also a good piece. I have one that I use on my Buescher straight sop. Cutting sound that projects well.